Saturday, December 30, 2006

Tabula Rasa - meaning

I titled my first (and very long) post "Tabula Rasa" because it basically means clean slate. If any of you are Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans, you'll definitely remember the Tabula Rosa episode where Willow is not supposed to be doing magic, but she does and makes everyone forget who they are. She was supposed to just have her girlfriend forget about an argument, but it went crazy (after being exposed to fire, I think). So, Spike thought his name was Randy Giles and Willow thought she was dating Xander. Okay... okay... enough Buffy. I get carried away sometimes with my Buffy.

So, I wiki-ed "tabula rasa" and came up with a definition to post: "Tabula rasa (Latin: scraped tablet or clean slate) refers to the epistemological thesis that individual human beings are born with no innate or built-in mental content, in a word, "blank", and that their entire resource of knowledge is built up gradually from their experiences and sensory perceptions of the outside world."

I really found it interesting that tabula rasa was littered throughout the writings of Aristotle. I decided to download Aristotle's "On The Soul" writing. I've been wanting to cleanse myself this year. After all of my illnesses and infections this year and my body just being plagued with large doses of pain killers... I thought it would do me good to cleanse my body and mind. Don't worry, I'm not going full-blown-hippy-chick. I just want to exercise, drink lots of water and green teas, lost of whole grains, raw fruits and veggies. No hydrogenated crap and no more ingredients that I cannot pronounce. So as long as I'm feeding my body natural and cleansing foods, then why not feed my mind with cleansing and motivating readings. I'll let you know how it works out... ask me in about a year!

No comments: